The San Diego State University Academic Review (AR) Process will provide each academic unit with the opportunity to examine its strengths, areas for improvement, and strategic goals in a systematic way. The Academic Review process allows us to:
- Guide the future direction and priorities for the programs and the institution
- Support the continuous improvement of the program by identifying areas for improvement and development
- Promote dialogue within the department as well as across departments fulfill accreditation and state requirements
- Assure institutional quality to students, faculty, parents, alumni, and other stakeholders
- Provide an opportunity for a structured dialogue between the department and the administration
In essence, ARs are an opportunity for academic units to reflect on their accomplishments, challenges, and opportunities to address such questions as: How well are we preparing all our students to meet and exceed the challenges they will experience upon graduation? How well are we supporting faculty and staff in the integration of their teaching, research, scholarship, and creative endeavors, and service? How well are we equipped to meet the emerging challenges and demands of our disciplines and their respective roles in our broader society?
While meaningful and regular ARs are an explicit requirement of the California State University system and its Board of Trustees as well as for continued accreditation through the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), these guidelines are written in a manner that will affirm faculty’s ability to focus on what they care about while providing evidence that can inform program, unit, and college-level decision-making.
The intended outcome of each AR is the collaborative development of an Action Plan among Academic Affairs, the College Dean, and the academic unit that will address identified challenges and opportunities for improvement, primarily with existing resources and secondarily on additional strategic investments.
For specific questions concerning Academic Reviews, please contact Dr. Madhavi McCall at [email protected].
For general inquiries, please contact [email protected].